Monday, October 18, 2010

Quick update:

Today I’m working at home, trying to do paperwork and respond to emails, get ready for the work week, write a little of the world map activities book, etc. Last week I had a lot planned with the colegio: Thurs 3 workshops with the Cuanto Sabes (HIV program) group in three elementary schools in the morning then English class in the afternoon, Friday global handwashing day in the morning then a meeting in one of the recintos (communities outside of my site) in the afternoon, Saturday the first session of the Cuanto Sabes program in the high school in the morning, Saturday afternoon a meeting in another recinto. But as it turned out I ended up with a great deal of free time because the colegio let out early Wednesday and the kids didn’t have class the rest of the week. The teachers had meetings, something like in-service trainings, so the colegio was closed. They also told me all of the schools in the canton (county) were going to be closed; hence we rescheduled the Cuanto Sabes in the elementary schools. Turns out that was totally false (only 3 schools didn’t have class!), but we had rescheduled so oh well. So I just had the recinto meetings to go to. Those went pretty well, the Friday meeting we dealt with some roadblocks (figuratively) but the community came up with some really creative solutions. The one Saturday was supposed to be with the entire community, the leaders, and the mayor of my site, buuut it turns out the leaders didn’t publicize it as they promised they would, so we had a small meeting. With that group of mothers we’re starting some income-generation projects, which I’m stoked about. For now I’m teaching them to make cookies/cakes/brownies and we’re going to sell them (there’s not really any providers but there is a market). I brought some brownies and chocolate chip cookies to the meeting Saturday, they decided they liked them and want to learn to make them, and then we sold the rest and made over $10 in profits.

This week will be another busy week. Today is my relaxed day, then tomorrow I’m going to the municipio at 9am with the president of one of the recintos to start the process of soliciting funding for the casa comunal they want in their community. Then I have English class in the afternoon. This week they’ll be getting their pen pal responses in each of my classes and write their responses, and also are doing progress tests on the material we’ve covered in class (the Tuesday class did it last week and while they didn’t learn everything we’ve covered, they did really good overall!). So Wednesday we’ll be doing the Cuanto Sabes in the elementary schools, 3 sessions in 3 schools, which will take up the whole morning. Then in the afternoon, English class. Thursday I’m going to the recinto to teach the women’s group to make cookies/brownies, talk about best practices in income-generation, see if they have any interest in other types of project (paper making, soap making, community banking), and teach a little about money. I’m really excited about this project! I’ve been thinking about doing income generation with these ladies for awhile, and now we have the initiative and purpose (raising money for construction of a casa comunal). Then Thursday afternoon I’ll be in English class, again :) Friday I’m planning on starting with the English class in my host dad’s school, if I can bear it haha. Then Saturday morning we have our Cuanto Sabes with the colegio. Plus I have a feeling another meeting with one of the three recintos will pop up somewhere during the week. Busy week!

I just found out one of my friends that lives near me will be leaving to move to a different site, since she’s had a lot of problems in Guayaquil. So yesterday I went and spent time with her since we don’t know when exactly she’ll be leaving. She also doesn’t know where she’s going, but the two options she’s been told are both far from Guayas (in Esmeraldas and Loja) but I think it will be good for her. She’s been robbed a lot and is facing a lot of stress because of it. But it's always sad to see friends move!

Alright, I’m gonna sign off here for now. :) Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment